3. Suggested Timeline
When should you start your Creative Component?
It is highly recommended that you decide upon a topic no later than the halfway point in the program (18 credits or after). You are welcome to start earlier!
How to build the CC into your program:
- When you decide upon a topic, plan to register for the Agronomy 599M Seminar during either a fall or spring semester.
- The Seminar is your first credit of 599M (you are required to take 3 credits of 599M)
- After the seminar semester, continue to work on your project independently
- The CC is the ONLY part of the program that you must figure out your own schedule to complete your work.
- It's highly recommended that you work with your major professor to plan a timeline
- Set a goal of defending your CC the same semester as your last class
- It's OK if you cannot manage this. However, many students who finish courses without planning their CC take much longer to finish the program
- The CC will take as much time as a class to complete. Save the same time in your schedule to work on the CC as you did for a regular class.
- When your CC is complete to your major professor's satisfaction, we can then plan a Defense (the ISU Grad College calls this a Final Oral Examination)
- We register you for your remaining 2 credits of 599M the semester you defend