6. CC Defense
Planning your Defense (Final Oral Examination)
The MS Agronomy program must follow Graduate College policies in planning defenses, including Graduation deadlines.
In order to meet the Grad College deadlines, a you will be required to submit a full draft of your creative component to your major professor on the first day of the semester that you hope to defend:
- You are highly encouraged to have this draft ready before the first day of the semester
- Your draft does not need to be polished, but it does need to be fully written
- This deadline gives your major professor a few weeks to review your draft to give permission to have a defense (or not) before the graduation application deadline
- It is only your major professor who can give the green light to defend!!!!!
Fall 2017 Dates
- Monday, August 21, 2017: Full draft of your creative component to your major professor (Program deadline)
- Friday, September 8, 2017: Graduation Application deadline (Grad College deadline)
- Wednesday, November 22, 2017: Last date to defend Fall semester (Grad College deadline)
Spring 2018 Dates
- Monday, January 8, 2018: Full draft of your creative component to your major professor (Program deadline)
- Friday, January 28, 2017: Graduation Application deadline (Grad College deadline)
- Friday April 13, 2017: Last date to defend Fall semester (Grad College deadline)
- The Grad College requires the Request for Final Oral Examination a minimum of 3 weeks in advance of a defense date. If you want to defend early in any given semester, give as much notice as possible..
- You can defend any time after the "last date to defend". It will be processed as a graduation for the following semester.
Green light from your major professor? Excellent!!
You will have time to make additional edits and polish your CC, in addition to the following preparations:
- Complete the Graduation Application in AccessPlus.
- On the left menu click Graduation
- Follow the prompts - it is a very simple form
- Set a defense date
- You and your major professor narrow down a week that is open in your schedules
- Contact Dawn Miller email@example.com or 1-866-MSAGRON or 515-294-2999
- Dawn will check with your other committee members regarding their availability
- Dawn will make additional arrangements for you
- Reserve conference room for your defense date
- Submit Request for Final Oral Examination to the Grad College
- Register you for your remaining 599M credits
- Prepare additional paperwork to be signed the day of your defense (Report of Final Oral Exam and Grad Student Approval Form)
- You will be required to submit the polished, defense-ready copy of your CC to the MS Agronomy office two weeks prior to your defense date
- If the file is extremely large, let Dawn know and she will create a Cybox folder for you to upload it
- Dawn will distribute your copy to your committee
- You must prepare a seminar presentation (PPT) for the day of your defense
- Plan for a 30-45 minute presentation. Check the content and length with your major professor.
- Send a copy of your seminar to the MS Agronomy office firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your arrival. This copy will be backup.
- Bring along a flash drive of your presentation. This copy will be used the day of your defense and saved as a final copy.