MS Agronomy Application
To pre-apply to the MS Agronomy program, please submit the following items to the Distance Programs in Agronomy office by the deadline for the semester you plan to enroll. The deadline for the fall and spring semesters are April 1st and October 1st, respectively.
- Complete the pre-application form
- Request three professional letters of recommendation (through the preapplication form)
- Request official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions
*Printed or electronic pre-application forms are also available. Please contact us to request pre-application versions other than the web-form. Recommendation letters do not have to be submitted via the web-form. Recommendation letters can be submitted on company letterhead, etc. if desired and mailed to us.
You may be admitted to the program in two ways:
- If you meet admission requirements, have good letters of reference, and your undergraduate grade point average is above 3.2, we will process your application immediately. You may be admitted into the program for the next fall or spring term (assuming space is available).
- If you meet admission requirements and your undergraduate grade point average is less than 3.2, the Admissions Committee will review materials after April 1st and October 1st for next term admission. Admission will be competitive and limited to available space. To ensure equal opportunity to all interested in the program, we require all supporting paperwork before or by the deadline of April 1st and October 1st. Pre-applications will be accepted after the deadline, but for the following academic enrollment period.
If the information you provide is approved, we will ask you to officially apply to the Graduate Admissions Office at ISU. If you submit letters of recommendation or official transcripts during the pre-application process, you will not need to resubmit during the graduate admission process.
International Prospective Students
Electronically apply to Iowa State University using the official graduate application. The application fee is $100 payable online with a credit card. This is a $90 nonrefundable fee. If you are not able to submit your online application because you are not able to pay the application fee by credit card or online check, you may still complete the online application, print it off, and attach your personal check.
All checks or money orders should be made payable to Iowa State University, and be drawn on U.S. banks. If you complete the online application but do not complete the payment transaction, your online application will not be received by Iowa State.
If you sent us official transcripts, we will forward them to Admissions. You do not need to request transcripts again unless Admissions notifies you. This will allow for a quicker acceptance response from the university admission department. Students who have a degree from an institution outside the U.S. must have a TOEFL electronic exam score of 79 to be considered.
If you are not approved by the university, you will be notified via email. Within the email, you will receive additional information regarding further preparation to meet the program requirements.
Please see the Policy page for more detailed information about enrollment and student status.
|MS Agronomy Graduate Admissions
2206 Agronomy Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1010
|Phone: (515) 294-2999 or
Fax: (515) 294-5506
If you are interested in applying for the MS Plant Breeding program, please contact Michelle Zander (firstname.lastname@example.org). Management of the MS Plant Breeding program is now handled by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Online Learning, known as the Brenton Center.
Questions about the admissions process
If you need assistance at any time during this process, contact the MS Agronomy program office.