When is the on-campus Orientation held?
The next Orientation will be held July 26 & 27, 2018.
Sample 2017 Orientation Schedule
Who should attend Orientation?
Typically the following students get the best benefit from attending Orientation.
- Newly admitted students (incoming for the fall semester after the Orientation)
- Students who have completed 3 courses or fewer
- Students who have completed 3 semesters or fewer
Why an on-campus Orientation for a distance program?
- The on-campus Orientation is held in tandem with the MS Agronomy practicum course, Agronomy 594. Orientation students will get to meet and interact with 594 students, who are halfway through in the program or beyond. They will have multiple opportunities to voice concerns, ask questions and get advice about how to navigate the program.
- Students will be able to meet MS Agronomy faculty and staff in person!
Is the on-campus Orientation required?
It is highly recommended but not required. Students who have attended said it is worth the trip!
What topics are covered during Orientation?
- Introduction of faculty and staff
- How to learn at a distance
- How to use course materials and the learning management system
- Learn about resources available to students - Elibrary, writing consultant
- Learn about the creative component
- Discuss ISU policies that pertain to MS Agronomy students
- One-on-one advising assistance is provided
What is the cost to attend?
There is no registration fee. However, students are responsible for travel to Ames and accommodation while in town. Meals will be provided during Orientation, with breakfast both Thursday and Friday mornings, lunch on Thursday and the MS Agronomy picnic social Thursday evening.
If you plan to attend, please see the Travel and Accommodations page.
What if I cannot attend?
You are welcome to come for a visit any time. Please contact the MS Agronomy office in advance if there is someone in particular you would like to meet with (email@example.com, 515-294-2999).
Please use the MS Agronomy online Self-Guided Orientation to set up student accounts and get familiar with program and ISU systems.