Virgil K. Webster Scholarship
The Virgil K. Webster Award was established in 1977. It was originally intended for persons with Extension experience wishing to obtain a graduate degree in agronomy leading to specialist positions in Extension. In 2003, with the permission of the Webster family, the award was modified to include students pursuing a degree through the Master of Science in Agronomy Distance Education Program.
Virgil K. Webster graduated from Iowa State College with a degree in Farm Crops and Soils in 1925. He was a County Agricultural Agent in Palo Alto County (Northwest Iowa) from 1927 to 1932. From 1932 to 1943 he served in the Office of Farm Management and the Soil Conservation Service. In 1943 he rejoined ISU as an area agronomist serving Northeast Iowa (Delaware County) and remained with the Extension Service until his retirement in 1967.
Virgil (Vergil) K. Webster from ISU 'Bomb' Yearbook, 1925
- Students must be admitted into and active in the MS Agronomy distance graduate degree program.
- Students must submit a letter stating his/her desire to be considered for the scholarship (application registration form below). This letter must include:
- Clearly stated reasons the student is competitive for this scholarship
- Previous work experience
- Student goals once the degree is obtained
- Financial need is a criterion. Preference will be given to those who are not receiving other forms of monetary support.
- Should the scholarship applicants be very competitive, the scholarship committee may review student transcripts to assess academic performance. The MS Agronomy Program will have access to internal ISU transcripts.
August 1, 2017
(for 2017/2018 academic year)
Virgil K. Webster Application Registration form
- The award is $1,000, which is split between two semesters in the academic year after the award is granted ($500 for any two terms - fall, spring or summer). If a student has only one semester remaining, the entire award will be granted for that semester.
- The award will be in the form of credit applied toward the student's Ubill.
- The student(s) awarded the scholarship will be notified within one month after the application deadline.
- This is an annual scholarship. Students can apply every year, even if awarded the scholarship previously