4. Plan Your Program
As you plan you program, keep in mind:
- For your 1st semester, it is recommended that you take 1 course so you can get used the the flow of lessons and systems you will be using.
- If you are working full time, you should plan to take 1 or 2 courses, but no more than 2. You can spend 8-12 hours/week/class.
Program Planning Tools:
* Agronomy Graduate Certificate Students: Your courses are 501, 502, 503, 511, 512, & 514. You can disregard information not related to these courses.
MS and Certificate Students: Using the Program Planning Spreadsheet
- Semester & Year: Fill these out to make your plan (you can sort the sheet so it’s in chronological order)
- Course ID & Name: This is a list of all courses in the program
- Prerequisites: IMPORTANT! Pay attention to the prereqs for courses later in the program.
- Semester Offered: This is subject to change due to changes in instructors. Any changes will be communicated to students directly.
- Status: Fill this in each time you complete a class. You can enter your grade or just mark it complete.
- Note: This is a very informal way to keep track of your progress. At some point you will be asked to submit formal programs of study with the Graduate College. You will be informed when this is necessary.
- This document will be updated as course offerings change. You will be notified of updates.
MS Students only: Timing for specific courses:
- Agronomy 599M Seminar, 1 credit: this is the start of your creative component project.
- We recommend that you get started on your project by the time you have completed 12 credits (4 classes).
- You must have a topic idea to register for this and registration is by permission only.
- Take this with only 1 class. Don't try to add it to a semester when you are taking 2 courses.
- Although this is only 1 credit, you will spend more than 1 credit of effort. You will be writing your proposal for your project.
- Agronomy 594: This is the program on-campus practicum.
- Please plan to attend when you are halfway through the program, around 18 credits or later.
- Priority to enroll will go to those students who are closer to the end of the program.
- Agronomy 599M, 2 credits:
- The final 2 credits are reserved for the semester you will defend your creative component.
- Please add this during your last semester of coursework or later.
Draft your plan as soon as convenient for you. You can send a copy to email@example.com and your advisor can look over your plan and give you feedback. Keep in mind that although your advisor helps you with your plan, it is your responsibility to register each semester. Please refer to your plan each time you register for courses.
Please continue to the next section: Course Delivery Systems